Research and experience show that the whitening effect from the treatment usually lasts for years. Teeth may darken faster if exposed again to staining products such as tobacco, coffee or juices. However, the teeth will probably remain significantly lighter than if no treatment had been done. Two to four nights of tooth bleaching performed at six month to four year intervals may be all that is necessary. Some difficult, darker stains may naturally require longer treatment than some milder stains. Depending on your teeth and type of staining, results will vary.
Click on the links below to take you to those specific instructions:
- Recommendations & Tips
- Whitening Gel
- Whitening Pen
- Remineralisation Gel
- Thermoform Mouth Trays
- Activation Light
- Cheek Retractor
Recommendations & Tips:
- For best results brush, floss and dry your teeth prior to applying the gel
- For optimal results, whiten your teeth for 10-15 minutes and consecutively for a few days
- Moisture reduces the effectiveness of gels, ensure dental trays and teeth are clean and dry before applying
- Less gel is more when whitening; use a q-tip to wipe off any excess gel that gets on your gums
- The best time to whiten your teeth is just before bed
- Dental whitening gel can be refrigerated for long term storage. Typical shelf life is 1 year un-refrigerated and 2 years refrigerated. These are general recommendations and may vary between manufacturers. Use only in accordance with these instructions.
- After whitening your teeth will be temporarily more porous, making them easier to stain. To prevent discolouring your newly whitened smile, avoid smoking or consuming staining foods and beverages for a minimum of 1-2 hours
- Staining foods and beverages rule of thumb: if it can stain a white shirt, it can stain your teeth. Items include: coffee, tea, red wine, tomato sauce, berries etc.
Whitening Gel Instructions:
- Prior to Treatment: Brush, floss and dry your teeth. The whitening gel is the most effective with clean teeth. Put the trays in your mouth first without any gel to check the fit and comfort. Make sure the trays are clean and dry before applying the whitening gel. Moisture reduces the efficiency of the whitening gel and slows down the whitening process.
- Applying the Gel: When you apply the gel make sure not to fill the trays (recommended: 0.3-0.5cc or less per tray). Place a SMALL drop of tooth whitening gel half way up on the inner front surface of tray (in the front of each tooth in the tray). Do not spread the gel around. Recap the syringe for next treatment until empty.
- Inserting the Trays: Insert the whitening tray inside your mouth and over your teeth. Seat the tray firmly against teeth. Wipe any excess gel that may seep over the brim of the tray onto your gums (hold the tray with one hand; wipe the excess gel off with your finger, tissue or q-tip. If your kit includes a personal activation LED light, insert the clear plastic shield in front of the mouth tray and behind your lips.
- Wearing Time: We recommend leaving the whitening gel on for 15-30 minutes. Repeat up to a few days for best results.
- After Whitening: Remove the tray and rinse your mouth with warm water. For optimal results, brush any remaining gel away, floss and continue routine dental cleaning. If needed, use a toothpaste designed for sensitivity. Click here if your kit contains aftercare remineralising gel.
- Caring for Your Trays and Gel: Clean whitening trays with a toothbrush or Q-tip and cold water and dry. Store trays in the mouthpiece case and gel in cool dry place away from heat and direct sunlight.
- Note: More gel will not increase the whitening process; it will however waste your gel and could increase sensitivity. Instead, whiten your teeth for up to 30 minutes and consecutively for a few days until optimal results are achieved. Just remember “less is more”
Whitening Pen Instructions:
- Dry teeth
- Rotate bottom of click-pen to dispense gel from opposite end
- Apply a thin layer of gel onto your teeth, avoiding your gum area
- Avoid lips from contacting teeth for 30-60 seconds
- Do not rinse or eat/drink for one hour
- Rinse and repeat daily until desired result
Remineralisation Gel Instructions:
- Apply after whitening your teeth
- Place a small amount of gel inside the clean, dry tray (recommended: 0.3 – 0.5cc)
- Wear for 5-10 minutes
- Rinse mouth and tray
Thermoform Mouth Tray Instructions:
- Place the tray over the upper teeth before placing the tray in the boiling water. Practice with your tongue on the roof of your mouth and touching the inside of the tray. Suck the air from the tray. This contours the guard to the inside surface of the teeth. When finished repeat with the lower tray.
- Bring water to a boil. The bowl should be at least 4” deep to ensure the tray’s full immersion. Remove the container from the heat and dip one tray in the hot (but not boiling) water holding the tab, keep the tray in the water for 5 seconds. Make sure the edges do not fold onto each other.
- Lift the tray vertically from the water using the tab. Carefully and quickly place the tray around the teeth and then immediately perform the procedure outlined in Step 1. Repeat with the second tray.
- Once you are satisfied with the fit, trim the front tab away from the tray with scissors. Make sure it is flush with the front surface of the tray.
- Now your custom form trays are ready for whitening and remineralising gel
Activation Light Instructions:
- Open backing of light and remove the plastic tab in between batteries (for first use)
- Apply whitening gel to teeth
- Press white button to turn the light on
- Insert activation light and rest mouthpiece against teeth, hold with your lips
- Use for 10-15 minutes
- Repeat daily until desired result
Cheek Retractor Instructions:
Note: the retractor has both straight and angled sides. The angled sides go into your mouth.
- Holding the cheek retractor in your hand (angled side facing up)
- Squeeze the retractor so the angled sides come closer together
- Insert the cheek retractor into your mouth
- Your lips should rest on the retractor, making it much easier to apply the whitening gel
- Tip: Tilt head back and add a tissue between the retractor and your chin to catch any excess saliva